Visual Art Exchange (VAE) is THE place for artists to get started, learn how to make it as an artist and get to know the creative community. We want you to be a big part of VAE.
We recommend the following steps to getting involved:
1. Join VAE. Become a part of a community of artists and take advantage of all the benefits listed below.
2. Come say hello! We are open from 11-4 Tuesday – Saturday and from 6-10 on First Fridays. Your best bet is to make an appointment with staff so we can give you the grand tour. Or come to one of our artist orientations, held at 12noon on the same Saturday as art delivery.
3. Attend a program! VAE hosts more than 70 workshops, lectures, critiques and meetings a year.
4. Volunteer! Come on down to the gallery and help install a show, hang lights or help other artists.
5. Enter one of our exhibition programs. We have opportunities for artists at all stages of their career – from shows a community venues, featured artist programs, group shows and competitive juried exhibitions.
We want you to meet other artists, learn and get to the next level in your career. Come and see us soon!
To find out more, come to one of our Artist Orientation sessions,
When: 12noon on Saturdays that Art Delivery is scheduled.
What: A short information session and orientation for anyone new to VAE or for anyone looking to get more involved, started or re-started. Staff will give a short overview of exhibitions, continuing education programs for artists and other opportunities for artists. There will be a short tour of the facility as well as information about upcoming events. Plan for 15 minutes and there will be plenty of time during and after for Q & A and to meet other artists.
Click here for a printable form.
Artist Membership Levels
Exhibiting Levels (for one year):
- Exhibiting artist ($55)
- Senior 65+ ($35)
- Full-Time Student 18+ ($20)
- Young Artist 18-25 ($25)
- Family/Studio* ($100) *Up to 2 members in the same household or studio.
- Two non-juried member showcases annually, including the Sale for the Season, a cash and carry show at the holidays and a summer member’s exhibition.
- Four Members Juried shows in the Main Gallery each year
- Featured member exhibitions in the Exchange Gallery, Launch! Retail Incubator and at VAE Community Exchange Partner venues all year long.
Marketing + Artist Network Benefits
- Membership is non-juried and artists are immediately part of VAE’s vast network of artists, educators, patrons and community leaders.
- Exclusive member’s only programming and networking events
- Opportunity to serve on an artist committee that plans events, programs and exhibition and advises the board about artistic programming.
- Subscription to the weekly e-news, an e-mail newsletter full of artist opportunities, reminders and tips, where you can also post calls for artists, workshops and classes.
- Post on our popular social media accounts! VAE members can coordinate with staff to post one event/kickstarter/opportunity each month on VAE’s social media outlets.
Education + Support
- Members can meet with VAE’s staff at any time to review your resume, artist’s statement, or give you advice about framing and your portfolio. Staff is also available to provide one-on-one counseling by appointment.
- VAE offers low-cost lecture and workshop series to artists and members get to register first as well as enjoy reduced rates. Topics include taxes, legal issues, copyright, preparing and applying for artist’s opportunities, networking and marketing.
- Artist Groups – Currently, there are 4 different artists’ forums that meet once a month (traditional painters, abstract & contemporary artists, photographers, and the plein-air painters). These forums offer opportunities for peer review & support, and are free for members.
- Low commissions taken on sales (30% for members, 50% for non-members.)
- Free attendance to monthly artists’ nights, lecture series and artists’ forums.
- Discounted entry and workshop fees and a 10% off purchases at VAE.
- Artist discount card good for 10-20% off framing, artwork and art supplies at local retailers
*Artist donors can receive Exhibiting Artists Membership benefits with a donation of $100 or more. Please contact Sarah Powers at 919-828-7834 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.